- Location Gloucestershire
- Main Contractor GS Group
- Client Andrew Brownsword Hotels Group
- Value Medium Project
- Date Completed January 2017
The Slaughter Manor House, part of the Andrew Brownsword Hotels group, is a beautiful 17th Century 4 star manor house and restaurant within the Cotswolds.
We have been working with Andrew Brownsword Hotels for many years and have developed a very good working relationship with them. We were called upon to discuss replacing the existing modular central cooking island with a one-piece suite within The Slaughter Manor House.
We started with a full site survey for access, because of the age of the building access was restricted so we had to ensure we could get the new equipment into the building and assess how we were going to do it. We undertook the re-design of the kitchen taking into account the existing extraction canopy which was to be retained. From that we had to find a manufacturer that supplied cooking equipment suitable to fit in with the current services as there was no further capacity to expand the electrical supplies.
With further discussions with the client they decided to go with a Charvet one-piece island suite. This had all the cooking equipment they required and fitted within the existing canopy restrictions.
Our installation included removing all of the catering equipment from the kitchen into on-site storage. This was required in order to remove and dispose of the existing Altro flooring within the kitchen, rear pastry and prep rooms and surrounding corridor, we also removed the Whiterock wall cladding from the rear pastry room. Prior to replacing the Altro flooring within the central kitchen area we discovered that the flooring beneath what was removed was rotting. After discussion with the client we were asked to remove and replace the wooden boards which we agreed to do within the timescale provided.
We called our extraction specialist out to check the existing extraction canopy and extract / input fans to ensure they were working to full capacity. We found that the existing air input fan was not working correctly and therefore had to be replaced.
The client could only close the kitchen for a maximum of 5 days for this refurbishment as it was a busy hotel kitchen. All the above work was undertaken within the 5 days with a successful handover and training provided by the director in charge of the project on the last day.